Sit up straight! You may have heard this refrain. How can you keep from looking like a hunched-over grandma or grandpa, before your time? Here are some facts and tips, courtesy of your doctor of chiropractic.
- Take frequent breaks from sitting; and consider rotating your work or leisure activities, if that's an option for you.
- Control your weight. If you're carrying a few extra pounds, consider making changes. Your doctor of chiropractic may have some great tips, if you've got a willing ear.
- If postural changes are due to pregnancy, chiropractic care can help your body adapt to the temporary stress – with added benefits of decreasing incidence of pregnancy back pain and back labor.
- Build core muscles to counter the merciless effects of gravity. Your doctor of chiropractic can help guide you to core strength; and may also choose to connect you with more extensive resources.
- Mirror image exercises are precisely what you might think they are: taking the postural 'distortion,' and practicing its opposite. If your head tends to drift in front of your shoulders, practice 'retracting' your head to counter that drift. If your pelvis tends to tip forward, learn to activate the muscles that counter that rotation.
Jumping into an exercise or stretching program is not recommended. Ease in; ask questions; and be sure you're structurally balanced, so your efforts pay off with minimal injuries.
To learn more, visit Thimmel Chiropractic on the web wwwdrthimmel.com
or by calling us at (201) 794-6868 today for a COMPLIMENTARY posture screening!